What is the purpose of the source? Why is it important to the publisher or creator to share their content?
Some common reasons are:
- To provide information. such as newspaper articles or textbooks
- To persuade or advocate, such as editorials, opinion pieces, or reviews
- To entertain, such as viral videos or comic strips
- To sell a product or service, such as advertising or marketing materials
- To get hits and to drive viewers to a site, such as listicles that appear at the bottom of web pages
Content can be published for multiple reasons. For instance, an editorial cartoon is meant to persuade and to entertain its audience.
The purpose of the source is also related to its point of view, objectivity, and bias